Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Our Rainbow Story

Image source: www.pngitem.com

https://www.pngitem.com/middle/iwbwTwR_rainbow-cloud-clip-art-rainbow-with-sun-and/


Today, I want to share our rainbow story. 

The year 2020 was definitely a NEW year. It brought so many NEWs to our family mainly because of the pandemic. I was still working back then and I remember because of the pandemic,  lock-downs were common and I had to work from home. My kids also had to study at home. This was our NEW.

For that year, we had to let go a lot of things - going to school, mall trips, play date with cousins, eating out, visit to grandma's place, mornings in the playground, Sunday school at church, afternoon walk, and all other outdoor activities.

It was not easy. After pandemic was declared, my kids were confined to the house and lost the privilege of going out. I was the only one going out for work or buy our necessities. Every time I step out, my heart would skip and the fear of being sick would take a hold on me. We were not prepared but we had to accept the 'new normal.' As a parent, I felt frustrated, angry, confused and scared all at the same time. 

I remember one lazy rainy afternoon in August, while sitting on the couch and we were watching a re-run on the cable tv,  my son who was only 7 at that time, asked out of the blue, "Mama what is a riddle?"

After some thought, I gave him an easy definition and hoped he would go back to watching his cartoons and leave me with my thoughts of what I would be cooking for dinner that night. 

But of course, the definition was not the end of it. His eyes grew wide and cheerfully chanted "Riddle! Riddle! Riddle!" How could I say no to that?

I smiled and gave him the first riddle that came to my mind, "What goes up when the rain comes down?"

He pondered for a while and blurted out "Puddle?"

I laughed and patiently repeated the riddle, "What goes UP (pointed upward) when the rain comes DOWN (pointed outside as it was still raining cats and dogs outside).

He looked outside and his eyes grew wide "Rainbow! Rainbow!"

I was about to correct him and tell him it was umbrella but seeing his smile, I gently said, "Yes...you are right it is a rainbow."

Maybe, he's right. Rainbow would have been a better answer than umbrella.

I looked outside quietly as the rain continued to pour down. A child's faith is truly a wonder. Even during a dark, rainy day..a child believes the rain will soon end and the rainbow will appear.

Since last year, days have been dark and rainy for all us. Some workers lost their jobs. Some students lost their chance to study. Others lost loved ones. So many got stranded. Many got sick, tired, frustrated, confused, lonely and sad. So many are still struggling and many more are fighting their own battles every single day.

For more than a year now since pandemic was declared, the world has been in the dark and the rain seems to be unending.

But I've realized one thing. It will not rain forever. Soon, the skies will clear and things will be better, our world will be healed. 

Never let go of His hand. Have faith. This is God's promise.

"The rainbow that I have put in the sky will be my sign to you and to every living creature on earth. It will remind you that I will keep my promise forever." (Genesis 9:12-13)

Remember, this, too shall pass. For now, let us help lift each other up. Let us pray for one another. Together, let us hold on to God's promise 🌈

No comments:

Post a Comment